Friday, June 17, 2005

How Privoxy ruined my day

I've been puzzled for the past few days about wierd things my browser has been doing. Sometimes things works nicely, other times it makes no sense! I was starting to wonder if there's a problem with the Firefox build that ships with FC4. One of the most painfull things it was doing was screwing with me trying to post here. I'd log in, type up something good, and then when I try "Save as Draft" it kicks me to the login page and loses my edits. And I kept on having to log into Slashdot...

I got so upset with losing posts, that I thought it was the blogger.com software. I then proceeded to download and install WordPress, which was quick and painless. Then I tried to tweak the config, and it bitched and screamed about my browser not sending any referer headers. Luckily it included a link in the error message, which took me to a nice little page that explained how to get your browser to send these headers. I checked my settings, and they were all correct! And then right at the bottom was a little note about Privoxy. And the light bulb clicked on. This great protector of my browser from such nasties as popups and double-click was also protecting me from blogging! So I added .blogger.com (and .slashdot.org and a few others) to the fragile list in the Privoxy configuration...

And now it all works....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home